Site Collection or Site Features

Developer
Feb 1, 2008 at 7:53 PM
Does this support features scoped to the "Site" (Site Collection) or "Web" (Site)?

I tried this out with a site collection feature I created and it complains that it is not scoped to the farm. The code sure appears to only care about farm features, but I'm surprised I'm the first one asking this question so maybe I am missing something?

Thanks,
Kirk
Developer
Feb 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM
For what it's worth, I have downloaded the code and made several updates, primarily:

1. It now allows for deploying and activating site collection features (it didn't appear to before). This involves having a treeview of web applications and site collections that the user can choose as a deployment target.
2. It allows the user to show a link for a configuration screen for each site collection feature that was installed.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get in touch with Lars Fastrup (the author) to get access to upload my changes. If anyone knows how to contact him, let me know (click on my contact link until you get the email form).

Thanks,
Kirk

kliemohn wrote:
Does this support features scoped to the "Site" (Site Collection) or "Web" (Site)?

I tried this out with a site collection feature I created and it complains that it is not scoped to the farm. The code sure appears to only care about farm features, but I'm surprised I'm the first one asking this question so maybe I am missing something?

Thanks,
Kirk

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM
I'm having a similar problem. My Feature is Web scoped. The installer fails at
SPWebService.AdministrationService.Features.Add(featureId.Value, true);
with
Feature 'cff41adf-bc81-9f5a-b032-bdc96929ff98' is Web-scoped, and can not be added to the Farm.

Can you tell me what changes you made? I'm new to Features so I'm not really sure what I should be doing instead.

Thanks
Developer
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM
I have communicated directly with Miles on this and provided him the latest source.

I have been remiss in getting my source back into CodePlex. Lars has made me an author; I just need to discuss a few things with him and have been swamped lately. Look for something within 2 weeks.

MilesB wrote:
with
Feature 'cff41adf-bc81-9f5a-b032-bdc96929ff98' is Web-scoped, and can not be added to the Farm.

Can you tell me what changes you made? I'm new to Features so I'm not really sure what I should be doing instead.

Thanks

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Are there an any updates on the activity that was discussed above?

The SharePoint Solution Installer is a great tool but I cannot use it in its current state as just about everything I deploy is web parts that are site scoped. Also, it sounds like there will be the capability to install and activate multiple features (in the case that multiple web parts are included in a single solution). Is this correct?

Thank you,

Jason

kliemohn wrote:
I have communicated directly with Miles on this and provided him the latest source.

I have been remiss in getting my source back into CodePlex. Lars has made me an author; I just need to discuss a few things with him and have been swamped lately. Look for something within 2 weeks.

MilesB wrote:
with

Thanks

Developer
Apr 21, 2008 at 2:04 AM
Well, I guess my two weeks has passed. I still plan on updating things. I do have something that handles features scoped to a site collection (which is what you probably want for web parts). I'll try to make something happen this week (I realize my track record is not too good).

Kirk

jrichmeier wrote:

The SharePoint Solution Installer is a great tool but I cannot use it in its current state as just about everything I deploy is web parts that are site scoped. Also, it sounds like there will be the capability to install and activate multiple features (in the case that multiple web parts are included in a single solution). Is this correct?

Thank you,

Jason

kliemohn wrote:

MilesB wrote:
with

Thanks

Developer
Apr 23, 2008 at 4:38 AM
Edited Apr 23, 2008 at 4:53 AM
OK. I have checked in my changes which provide the capability to install features scoped to a site collection. These changes have been in use in the SharePoint Connector for Confluence (http://www.atlassian.com/sharepoint) which has both a site collection feature and a farm feature. So, the updates have been vetted a bit. However, I wanted to spend a little time with Lars (the original author) to go over some changes. This has not occured yet (my fault, not his). My hope is that I can go do this and then we can put out another release.

One of the main features I see that is missing is the handling of site features (scoped to a "Web").

kliemohn wrote:
Well, I guess my two weeks has passed. I still plan on updating things. I do have something that handles features scoped to a site collection (which is what you probably want for web parts). I'll try to make something happen this week (I realize my track record is not too good).

Kirk

jrichmeier wrote:

Thank you,

Jason

kliemohn wrote:

MilesB wrote:
with

Thanks

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM
Kirk,

I am really interested in your SharePoint Installer update with the "Site Collection Feature" capability.
I just downloaded your changeset 17823 : it appears that some code elements are missing, preventing the code to build. These elements are :
- ExtendedTreeNode.cs
- FinishedControl.cs
- SiteCollectionDeploymentTargetsControl.cs
Do you think that you can fix this ?

If you plan to put out another release with Lars, one really interesting thing would be to support multiple features activation (suggested by Jason in a previous post). For example, it could be implemented by splitting the "FeatureId" key in the .config file, just like this :

<add key="FeatureId" value="AFC95595-9237-470a-9A0B-758BB6E11561;AFC95595-9237-470a-9A0B-758BB6E11561;AFC95595-9237-470a-9A0B-758BB6E11561"/>

Thanks

Julien

kliemohn wrote:
OK. I have checked in my changes which provide the capability to install features scoped to a site collection. These changes have been in use in the SharePoint Connector for Confluence (http://www.atlassian.com/sharepoint) which has both a site collection feature and a farm feature. So, the updates have been vetted a bit. However, I wanted to spend a little time with Lars (the original author) to go over some changes. This has not occured yet (my fault, not his). My hope is that I can go do this and then we can put out another release.

One of the main features I see that is missing is the handling of site features (scoped to a "Web").

kliemohn wrote:

Kirk

jrichmeier wrote:

Thank you,

Jason

kliemohn wrote:

MilesB wrote:
with

Thanks

Developer
Apr 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM
Sorry about that. I am new to authoring on CodePlex and new to using the Teamprise Explorer for source code. I have uploaded the files I missed and verified that I can download everything on another machine and compile it.

Regarding supporting multiple features, this could be possible but it can also be tricky. We would probably need to require that all features chosen were of the same scope (all farm scope, all web application scope, all site collection scope, or all site scope). This is important because your deployment targets are totally different based on the scope. Would that work for you? Note that only farm and site collection scopes are currently supported.

ahuh wrote:
Kirk,

I am really interested in your SharePoint Installer update with the "Site Collection Feature" capability.
I just downloaded your changeset 17823 : it appears that some code elements are missing, preventing the code to build. These elements are :
- ExtendedTreeNode.cs
- FinishedControl.cs

If you plan to put out another release with Lars, one really interesting thing would be to support multiple features activation (suggested by Jason in a previous post). For example, it could be implemented by splitting the "FeatureId" key in the .config file, just like this :

<add key="FeatureId" value="AFC95595-9237-470a-9A0B-758BB6E11561;AFC95595-9237-470a-9A0B-758BB6E11561;AFC95595-9237-470a-9A0B-758BB6E11561"/>

Thanks

Julien

kliemohn wrote:

kliemohn wrote:

Kirk

jrichmeier wrote:

Thank you,

Jason

kliemohn wrote:

MilesB wrote:
with

Thanks

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Thanks for the update, it works now !

Concerning multiple features, I totally agree with you : all features must be in the same scope. If we need several scopes for a project, we can build several solutions (1 per scope).

kliemohn wrote:
Sorry about that. I am new to authoring on CodePlex and new to using the Teamprise Explorer for source code. I have uploaded the files I missed and verified that I can download everything on another machine and compile it.

Regarding supporting multiple features, this could be possible but it can also be tricky. We would probably need to require that all features chosen were of the same scope (all farm scope, all web application scope, all site collection scope, or all site scope). This is important because your deployment targets are totally different based on the scope. Would that work for you? Note that only farm and site collection scopes are currently supported.

ahuh wrote:
Kirk,

- ExtendedTreeNode.cs
- FinishedControl.cs

Thanks

Julien

kliemohn wrote:

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM
Hi;

concerning multiple features ( with site scope), does some one make the changes ? if yes, whre can i find them ?

Thank you.
Developer
Jun 9, 2008 at 4:01 AM
Mulitple features are still not supported.  Lars may be considering that for some changes he was planning to make for the release after V1.2 (V1.2 should be release within a day or two).

In the meantime you have two options:

1. Have multiple features in a single WSP and use feature dependencies to ensure that when a single feature is activated the others are activated as well.  I have not tested this scenario out, but suspect that it would work with the installer.  If you decide to do this, please let us know how it goes.

2. Download the source and make the change yourself :-).  This is obviously a lot more effort than #1 which would likely do the trick for you.  If you decide to update the source you may be able to put your changes back into this codebase (Lars is in charge of who the developers are on this project - I'm the only other one right now).

Kirk

nassimos wrote:
Hi;

concerning multiple features ( with site scope), does some one make the changes ? if yes, whre can i find them ?

Thank you.

Jun 9, 2008 at 7:52 AM
I try to give some changes to the current project but, sincerly, i find some difficulties. I'm new in sharepoint developpement and i've not much time to do this job.
thanks for your response.
Jun 9, 2008 at 9:09 AM
I try to give some changes to the current project but, sincerly, i find some difficulties. I'm new in sharepoint developpement and i've not much time to do this job.
Developer
Jun 10, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Since you are new to SharePoint development (and even if you weren't), I'd focus on my first option which is to use feature dependencies.  You can find more information on feature activation dependencies here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa543162.aspx.

Here is an example of a feature file that has activation dependencies.  This is found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\TeamCollab\feature.xml.  What this shows is that the TeamCollab feature is nothing but a way to activate a bunch of other features (it has no ElementManifest and thus it is just a shell). 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Feature
        Id="00BFEA71-4EA5-48D4-A4AD-7EA5C011ABE5"
        Title="$Resources:core,teamcollabFeatureTitle;"
        Description="$Resources:core,teamcollabFeatureDesc;"
        ImageUrl="WssTeamCollaborationFeature.gif"
        ImageUrlAltText=""
        Scope="Web"
        DefaultResourceFile="core"
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">
    <ActivationDependencies>
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-D1CE-42de-9C63-A44004CE0104"/> <!-- AnnouncementsList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-7E6D-4186-9BA8-C047AC750105"/> <!-- ContactsList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-DE22-43B2-A848-C05709900100"/> <!-- CustomList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-F381-423D-B9D1-DA7A54C50110"/> <!-- DataSourceLibrary Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-6A49-43FA-B535-D15C05500108"/> <!-- DiscussionsList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-E717-4E80-AA17-D0C71B360101"/> <!-- DocumentLibrary Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-EC85-4903-972D-EBE475780106"/> <!-- EventsList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-513D-4CA0-96C2-6A47775C0119"/> <!-- GanttTasksList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-3A1D-41D3-A0EE-651D11570120"/> <!-- GridList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-5932-4F9C-AD71-1557E5751100"/> <!-- IssuesList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-2062-426C-90BF-714C59600103"/> <!-- LinksList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-F600-43F6-A895-40C0DE7B0117"/> <!-- NoCodeWorkflowLibrary Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-52D4-45B3-B544-B1C71B620109"/> <!-- PictureLibrary Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-EB8A-40B1-80C7-506BE7590102"/> <!-- SurveysList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-A83E-497E-9BA0-7A5C597D0107"/> <!-- TasksList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-C796-4402-9F2F-0EB9A6E71B18"/> <!-- WebPageLibrary Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-2D77-4A75-9FCA-76516689E21A"/> <!-- WorkflowProcessLibrary Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-4EA5-48D4-A4AD-305CF7030140"/> <!-- WorkflowHistoryList Feature -->
        <ActivationDependency FeatureId="00BFEA71-1E1D-4562-B56A-F05371BB0115"/> <!-- XmlFormLibrary Feature -->
    </ActivationDependencies>
</Feature>

You may be able to modify your features to have dependencies and then the SharePoint Solution Installer will (hopefully) activate your primary feature and any features it is dependent upon. If you give this a shot, please let us know how this turns out for you.

Kirk

nassimos wrote:

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM
nassimos & kirk,

I've developped the multiple features deployment. It works great, you just have to choose a scope for all the features to deploy (farm, site, etc), and declare each feature's guid separated with ";", just like this example :

I've only modified a small part of the project source code (with comments indicating where the modifications are), but I don't have the developer rights on this codeplex project. I can send you my modified sources, and perhaps Kirk could take a look at it, and see if it is possible to merge it with the current source version (for the next release). Where can I put my sources ?

Developer
Jun 10, 2008 at 8:22 PM
Ahuh, sounds good.  Let me check with Lars and see what he would like to do.  I don't think it will make the V1.2 release as he was already in the middle of trying to post that, but we'll see.

Kirk

ahuh wrote:
nassimos & kirk,

I've developped the multiple features deployment. It works great, you just have to choose a scope for all the features to deploy (farm, site, etc), and declare each feature's guid separated with ";", just like this example :

I've only modified a small part of the project source code (with comments indicating where the modifications are), but I don't have the developer rights on this codeplex project. I can send you my modified sources, and perhaps Kirk could take a look at it, and see if it is possible to merge it with the current source version (for the next release). Where can I put my sources ?

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:22 AM
Hi,

I've a question, i think that the sharepoint installer don't with "Site scope", am i wrong ?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
in the ActivateFarmFeatureCommand class we find:

SPFeature feature = SPWebService.AdministrationService.Features.Add(featureId.Value, true);

this, activate the feature in the farm scope. isn't it ?
Developer
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM
V1.1 only supports features scoped to the farm.  The latest source has more functionality than the current latest release of V1.1.  Release V1.2 (cominng out very soon we hope!) will have this functionality.  If you are looking at the latest source, then you have the new functionality which has a Command class for activating a site collection feature.

The new functionality supports features scoped to the "Site".  This is a loaded and confusing term that stems from the naming of things back in previous versions of SharePoint.  Scope="Site" really means the site collection.  Scope="Web" means a site.  So, the latest functionality allows features scoped to a site collection (aka SPSite), not to an individual site (aka SPWeb).  Hopefully this clears things up.

nassimos wrote:
Hi,

I've a question, i think that the sharepoint installer don't with "Site scope", am i wrong ?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
in the ActivateFarmFeatureCommand class we find:

SPFeature feature = SPWebService.AdministrationService.Features.Add(featureId.Value, true);

this, activate the feature in the farm scope. isn't it ?

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM
thank you very much kliemohn;

i've made some changes to the source code to allow site scope (but without creating a new class).
i'm waiting for the V1.2 to see what are the new features. I hope to see it soon and i hope that it allows multi features deployement.

regards.
Jun 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM
Hi,

Can "sharepoint installer" deploy and install custom fields ?
Jun 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM

yes it does.

Thanks.

nassimos wrote:
Hi,

Can "sharepoint installer" deploy and install custom fields ?

Developer
Jun 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM
Ahuh,

Thanks to you the V1.2 release that came out today does allow for multiple features.  Thanks for contributing!

Kirk

ahuh wrote:
nassimos & kirk,

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Good Morning;

I've a problem with sharepoint Installer, at the end of uninstalling the 5 features, i have this message :

An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action.
The object SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config_c76b1251-2d0a-479d-8b75-8ed5f79f2950 is being updated by MyMachine\Administrator, in the msiexec process, on machine MyMachine.
View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.

Please help me.

kliemohn wrote:
Ahuh,

Thanks to you the V1.2 release that came out today does allow for multiple features.  Thanks for contributing!

Kirk

ahuh wrote:
nassimos & kirk,

Developer
Jun 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Nassimos,

(This seems a little unrelated to this thread, but maybe the issue happens to be with site collection features.  At any rate, here is my response...)

The error you have appears to be transient and maybe not reproduceable.  However, if it is my guess is that this error is outside of the scope of the SharePoint Solution Installer.  To verify, please try to retract the solution through Central Administration (Operations -> Solution Management).  You may want to deactivate your feature(s) beforehand, if applicable.

Another thing to check would be the sharepoint logs (latest updated file in a directory such as C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS).

I hope that helps.

Kirk

nassimos wrote:

Good Morning;

I've a problem with sharepoint Installer, at the end of uninstalling the 5 features, i have this message :

An update conflict has occurred, and you must re-try this action.
The object SPFarm Name=SharePoint_Config_c76b1251-2d0a-479d-8b75-8ed5f79f2950 is being updated by MyMachine\Administrator, in the msiexec process, on machine MyMachine.
View the tracing log for more information about the conflict.

Please help me.