Upgrade - features not re-activated

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM
Hi.

Thank you for this great piece of software. We use it a lot in our company, and it have saved us quite some trouble.

Now, my question: Why are features not activated when an upgrade is performed? Features containing WebParts might have been upgraded with new WebParts, and they won't be accessible until the feature is deactivated and then re-activated. I have only taken a quick look at the source code, but my guess would be, that this would be fairly easy to implement. Now I'm just wondering; is there a reason why features are not activated when upgrading?

- Thanks in advance :)
Jan 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM
I have been working with feature events and feature activation/deactivation the last couple of days and realized that re-activating features will make new WebParts appear but not remove WebParts that have been excluded from a feature. One simply have to implement a Feature Event that removes the WebParts. The re-activation of a feature during upgrade would still be a greate improvement, as it would enable us to do the necessary clean up in the Web Part Gallery when the activation event is fired.