Supporting Multiple Feature deployment

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM
Hi,

I plan to use the sharepoint installer to deploy my solution which contains a Farm scoped and a Site scope feature. Was going through the source to check what is being done and whether this is supported. Currently based on the FeatureScope the corresponding command is added to activate the feature. So only one feature can be activated at a time.

I would like to suggest an enhancement here where we can deploy multiple feature. Currently the 'FeatureId' configuration is used to get the list of FeatureIds. If this is not present a check for 'FarmFeatureId' is made for backward compatibility. Here why not give the ability to specify both so that 'FarmFeatureId' ,if specified, can be used  for executing the 'ActivateFarmFeatureCommand'. These features can then be added to the AdministrationService to activate them.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct and whether it makes sense to add this enhancement.

Regards,
Jagannath
Feb 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM
yes. it is very important to add such a feature, I think. For me, therefore, it is necessary to make deploy-pack for sharepoint application (wsp) with 5 features inside!!
Apr 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Hello

Why ist the possibility available to add the comma seperated list of features, if only one feature is activated in the setup process? I tried to specify multiple features und only the first in the list will be activated?

On the dinstallation i get the following error:

Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
   at System.Guid..ctor(String g)
   at CodePlex.SharePointInstaller.InstallConfiguration.get_FeatureId()
   at CodePlex.SharePointInstaller.InstallProcessControl.DeactivateSiteCollectionFeatureCommand.Execute()
***** SOLUTION RETRACTION *****
xx: http://xx/ : The solution was successfully retracted.

Setup.exe.config:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="BannerImage" value="Default"/>
    <add key="LogoImage" value="None"/>
    <add key="EULA" value="EULA.rtf"/>
    <add key="SolutionId" value="00e41d30-af9a-47c5-88e1-d7a0708f1007"/>
    <add key="FeatureId" value="ef69c0b6-bd39-40e9-95f8-b87030f12e15,01fd3830-687f-4a21-8a72-ad4ff4c415cf"/>
    <add key="FeatureScope" value="Site"/>
    <add key="SolutionFile" value="MiniWebParts.wsp"/>
    <add key="SolutionTitle" value="MiniWebParts Solution"/>
    <add key="SolutionVersion" value="1.0.0.0"/>
    <add key="UpgradeDescription" value="Upgrades {SolutionTitle} on all frontend web servers in the SharePoint farm."/>
    <add key="RequireDeploymentToCentralAdminWebApplication" value="true"/>
    <add key="RequireDeploymentToAllContentWebApplications" value="false"/>   
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

Thanks for any help
Jun 3, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Multiple features can be activated by the installer as long as they are all within the one WSP file and are for the same scope level. The config above won't work as the feature GUID's must be sepearated using a semi-colon (";") and not a comma.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:05 AM
thanks a lot.
Sep 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Hi

Can I deploy the solution (.wsp) containing two feature have Scope="Web"?

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Guys, any updates here?
Developer
Aug 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Serhiy - see answer given above by njohnson