Get Information from MyFile.WSP ?

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:22 AM
Hi

The wsp file contains all information concerning the solution. can we get some information from it ?
for exemple: get the FeatureID, Scope, Version ...
This will avoid us to create an xml document that discribe the solution to deploy and we'll need only the wsp file, anything else.

Thanks.
Developer
Jun 25, 2008 at 4:28 PM
Nassimos,

I think you are suggesting that we could remove some of the information from it as it could be inferred from the contents of the WSP.

That seems logical and might make sense for some parameters, but I contend that several of them cannot easily be inferred.  For example, you can have multiple features in your WSP and you may not want any of them activated, so we can't infer the feature ID.  In addition, those multiple features could have a different scope so we can't infer the scope either.

Do you agree?  After reading this do you still feel there are some properties that can be inferred?

Thanks,
Kirk

nassimos wrote:
Hi

The wsp file contains all information concerning the solution. can we get some information from it ?
for exemple: get the FeatureID, Scope, Version ...
This will avoid us to create an xml document that discribe the solution to deploy and we'll need only the wsp file, anything else.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:05 PM
I'd try to make the setup.config optional and not required. If the setup.config is present, it would overrule the default values of the parameters. Let's go over some of the possible default values:

• solutionfile: you could scan the current directory and process it like this:
    1. look for a setup.wsp
    2. if not present, look for any *.wsp and use that one (later on you could accept multiple solutions)
  • solutionid: id in the manifest.xml of the solutionfile selected
  • solutiontitle: use a generic name or the file name of the solution
  • FeatureId and FeatureScope: look for features in the solution and check what scope they are. If the scope is supported, install all of the features.

Remember these would be default behaviour, which could overruled by creating a setup.config. Purpose of the exercise would be to eliminate the setup.config in most cases. Less files => less errors

Greets
Tom

Developer
Aug 1, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2008 at 12:29 PM
These are great ideas.  Thanks for the suggestion and expounding on thte details.

I have added this to the issues list: http://www.codeplex.com/sharepointinstaller/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=10862.  Feel free to vote on it.

Kirk