Error I got when I tried to run the setup.exe

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:34 PM
I installed the installer and have install rights. I tried running the setup to install the solution and came across this error

• ERROR *****
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CodePlex.SharePointInstaller.InstallProcessControl.CreateDeploymentJobCommand.Execute()
at CodePlex.SharePointInstaller.InstallProcessControl.TimerEventInstall(Object myObject, EventArgs myEventArgs)
Developer
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:56 PM
This may be a little late for a response, but first verify that you are running the EXE locally (not using a network drive).  Assuming you are OK there, the next step might have to be to download the source and step into the code (assuming you are a developer).  We can certainly improve the SharePoint Solution Installer if we can get somewhat detailed feedback on what the error is.  Unfortunately, we are not doing a good job in reporting the error in this case.  Maybe event logs or the SharePoint log might help?

Kirk

muneyi wrote:
I installed the installer and have install rights. I tried running the setup to install the solution and came across this error

• ERROR *****
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CodePlex.SharePointInstaller.InstallProcessControl.CreateDeploymentJobCommand.Execute()
at CodePlex.SharePointInstaller.InstallProcessControl.TimerEventInstall(Object myObject, EventArgs myEventArgs)

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM

kliemohn wrote:
This may be a little late for a response, but first verify that you are running the EXE locally (not using a network drive).  Assuming you are OK there, the next step might have to be to download the source and step into the code (assuming you are a developer).  We can certainly improve the SharePoint Solution Installer if we can get somewhat detailed feedback on what the error is.  Unfortunately, we are not doing a good job in reporting the error in this case.  Maybe event logs or the SharePoint log might help?

Kirk

muneyi wrote:

• ERROR *****

I had the same error. After checking the SolutionId GUID in the Setup.exe.config file with the SolutionId GUID in my project manifest.xml file, I realized that they were different. I created a new GUID (just for peace of mind) and updated both SolutionIds. Before I could run setup again, I had to delete the wsp from the Sharepoint solution store. I ran this bat file to do so (taken from Ted Pattison's WSS401 lab)

@SET STSADM="c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\bin\stsadm.exe"

%STSADM% -o retractsolution -name YourSilverlightApplication.wsp -immediate

%STSADM% -o execadmsvcjobs

%STSADM% -o deletesolution -name YourSilverlightApplication1.wsp

Re-run setup. Install was successful.

Developer
Aug 1, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Glad you figured it out. Note that having default configuration values could potentially address this issue.  See http://www.codeplex.com/sharepointinstaller/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=10862 for more information.

Kirk
Dec 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I had the same problem it seems that it was the same issue - The solution GUID was incorrect.

Turns out that in InstallProcessControl.cs if the SolutionId is wrong then installedSolution is null

Maybe a check here or a better exception message could be shown?

protected internal override bool Execute()
      {
        try
        {
          SPSolution installedSolution = SPFarm.Local.Solutions[InstallConfiguration.SolutionId];

Thanks,

Shannon

Developer
Jan 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Shannon,

Good idea.

I'm posting such a patch to the patch area right now. (But I've posted some others and not seen any response yet, so I don't know if this project is maintained or abandoned.)