Can't connect to SQL

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM
I've created an installer and it works great in dev and was working great in deploying to other environments. Recently I tried to run an installer and I starting getting a message in the "System Check" step 2 saying that "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server." All sites are working on the farm. An ideas as to what might me going on?

Thanks
Feb 28, 2008 at 3:06 PM
Sorry to even bring this one up here. I discovered the problem. Someone had just updated the SQL Account password. Once I fixed the SQL Service account everything started working fine.

jbgeers wrote:
I've created an installer and it works great in dev and was working great in deploying to other environments. Recently I tried to run an installer and I starting getting a message in the "System Check" step 2 saying that "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server." All sites are working on the farm. An ideas as to what might me going on?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM
I have the same message, although the problems seems to be different.
Solution Installer 1.1 works, but version 1.2 gives that "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server" error.

I want to use version 1.2, because it has a fix against the error "This solution contains resources scoped for a Web application and must be deployed to one or more Web applications" :)

Here is my Setup.exe.config file (it is the same for both versions of the installer):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="BannerImage" value="Default"/>
    <add key="LogoImage" value="None"/>
    <add key="EULA" value="EULA.rtf"/>
    <add key="SolutionId" value="c4b4b6b8-208b-47a4-b0c6-62240c81594f"/>
    <add key="FarmFeatureId" value=""/>
    <add key="SolutionFile" value="EditCandidateForm.wsp"/>
    <add key="SolutionTitle" value="EditCandidateForm"/>
    <add key="SolutionVersion" value="1.0.0.0"/>
    <add key="UpgradeDescription" value="Upgrades {SolutionTitle} on all frontend web servers in the SharePoint farm."/>
    <add key="RequireDeploymentToCentralAdminWebApplication" value="false"/>
    <add key="RequireDeploymentToAllContentWebApplications" value="false"/>    
  </appSettings>
</configuration>
May 21, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Hi have the same issue, step 2 failed.

My site is up and running.

I have 2 servers one for sahrepoint, other one for SQL DB.

Can you elaborate how do you find that someone had just updated the SQL Account password and how do you fix it.

May 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM

You need to login with the proper domain account on the SharePoint server - an account with write permissions to the SharePoint config database. Logging in as domain admin or logging in using SharePoint Central app pool account should do the trick.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM
Hi,
I am facing the same problem with version 1.2.2 of share point installer. It stuck on step 2 and message displayed is "sharepoint was unable to connect to the database server". I check with the source code and find that SPFarm.Local object return null reference. I have Win2k8 and Wss3.0 installed on deployment machine. Can you please let me know more about the solution as you mention on discussion reply?
jbgeers wrote:
Sorry to even bring this one up here. I discovered the problem. Someone had just updated the SQL Account password. Once I fixed the SQL Service account everything started working fine.

jbgeers wrote:

Thanks

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM
Hi,
I got the solution. I add the Logged-in usre to WSS_RESTRICTED_WSD user group. After re-log in I get the reference in SPFarm.Local. But Still I have problem, I get rights error You dont have persmission to install solution during systemcheck step 2. I go through code and found that SPFarm.Local.IsUserLocalAdminstrator return false.

Ani_Michal wrote:
Hi,
I am facing the same problem with version 1.2.2 of share point installer. It stuck on step 2 and message displayed is "sharepoint was unable to connect to the database server". I check with the source code and find that SPFarm.Local object return null reference. I have Win2k8 and Wss3.0 installed on deployment machine. Can you please let me know more about the solution as you mention on discussion reply?
jbgeers wrote:

jbgeers wrote:

Thanks

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:25 AM
Edited Feb 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

We have standardsearch setup , it works great in UAT server( usmrdwbs185 ) with  ------- credential and it was working in Production also 113 /111 with -------- credential. Recently I tried to run an in Production and I starting getting a message in the "System Check" step 2 saying that "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server." All sites are working on the farm. An ideas as to what might me going on?

Tried Below steps

1.    Logging in as domain admin or logging in using SharePoint Central app pool account changed.

2.    My credential is Admin.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I noticed that with UAC on, you have to right-click and Run as administrator. This worked for me.